Tarator (Bulgarian Tzatziki)
Bulgarian Tarator is a classic appetizer from the country. Unlike its related counterparts in Greece and Turkey, in Bulgaria, it is typically served as a soup. This recipe comes from Northern Bulgaria.
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Head of Garlic
- 14-15 Walnuts
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Oil Olive Oil is expensive in Bulgaria, so Sunflower oil is typically used instead.
- 500 g Yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp water for dilution if it's too thick
- Peel the cucumber and cut it into very fine slices, then dice.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves along with the walnuts, optionally, you can use a food processor.
- Add the ingredients to the yogurt and whip with a spoon to mix well. If it's too thick, add some water until it has the consistency of a soup.