Potato Salad (Upper Hessen)Course: SidesCuisine: Germany – HessenDifficulty: Medium
This is a simple variant of the typical German mayonnaise-based potato salad. This particular recipe comes from Upper Hessen.
1kg Firm Potatoes, i.e., potatoes that hold up well after boiling
1 Large Onion c. 50-100g
1 Large Apple
100g of Spiced Pickles
100g Light Mayonnaise
100g Sour Cream
1-2 Tps Mustard
Salt and Pepper
- Boil the potatoes with the skin until they are almost completely soft, c. 20 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the boiling water and rinse with cold water immediately. Then let it cool.
- Optionally, you can now peel the potatoes but then cut them into smallish cubes.
- Peel the apple and cut it into cubes as well
- Chop the onion and the pickles into small chunks
- Mix the vegetables together
- To make the sauce, mix all of the sauce ingredients together. If the sauce is too thick, add some pickling juice until the right consistency is met.
- Now combine everything and mix until the sauce has coated everything.
- Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, then salt and pepper to taste.