Potato and Beer SoupCourse: SoupsCuisine: Germany – Lower RhineDifficulty: Easy
Though this recipe comes from the Lower Rhine, potato soup and beer can be found anywhere in Germany, so it’s more of a modern take on a classic potato soup recipe.
2 Large Onions
400g Potatoes of the soft variety suitable for mash or soup
1L Vegetable Broth
1 Large Leek
1-2 Tsp Salt depending on the broth
1 Tsp Nutmeg
1 Cup (250ml) of Beer
1/2 Cup of Heavy Cream
Pepper to taste
A Bundle of Fresh Parsley
- Dice the onions into small cubes, and cut the remaining vegetables into chunks.
- Fry the onion in the butter over medium heat until the moisture has evaporated.
- Add the carrots and fry for a minute, then add the potatoes and the broth.
- Boil for 10 minutes, then add the leek and boil for another 10 minutes or until the potato is soft.
- Combine and blend with an immersion blender.
- Add the cream and the beer and remove from the heat. Continuing to heat the soup through will make the beer turn bitter.
- Add the chopped parsley to the soup as a garnish and serve.