“Heaven and Earth” – German Black PuddingCourse: SidesCuisine: German, Lower-Rhine, WestphaliaDifficulty: Easy
Himmel und Erde or Heaven and Earth refers to the two kinds of potatoes in the dish, the sky apples, i.e., apples from trees, and earth apples, i.e., potatoes. It is essentially mashed potatoes with blood sausages, either as a puree or fried. A common dish from the Rhineland in Germany, it was once a staple of working-class households.
500 Blood Sausage
2 Sour Apples
100ml Apple wine, dry white wine, or cider
2 Kg Potatoes for Mashing
200g Fried Onions (As a condiment, either crispy or soft)
Salt, Pepper, Nutmeg
Butter for frying
- Slice the blood sausage with the peel, and cover the slices with flour. Then fry over medium heat in a pan with some oil.
- Peel and julienne the apples
- Bring the Apple wine to a boil and add the apple sticks and sugar. After about 5 minutes, remove the apples. Fry the apples in some butter afterward.
- Prepare the mashed potatoes by boiling them for about 20 minutes until soft. Then mash with the milk and butter. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
- Serve by arranging the potato mash, apples, and fried sausage slices on a plate.
- Sprinkle with the fried onions.
- This recipe has a lot of variations. For simplicity, you can just use apple sauce instead of trying to prepare the apples in this manner.