German Lentil Soup (Basic Recipe)Course: SoupsCuisine: GermanDifficulty: Easy
Lentil soup is a common dish in Germany, with only slight variations between regions. Here is a basic version of the dish.
500g Green Lentils
1 Celery Root (Substitute with Potato)
1L Beef Broth
250g fatty bacon for frying
Several Frankfurter Sausages
1Tbs wine vinegar
Salt, Pepper, and Sugar
- Prepare the lentils for cooking. Originally this meant soaking them overnight, but most varieties today do not need to be soaked.
- Dice the onion and chop the vegetables into small cubes
- Bring the lentils to a boil in the water and broth, and add the vegetables
- Simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables and lentils are soft. Add more water if necessary
- On the side, cut the bacon into small pieces and fry until almost crispy, then add back to the lentil soup when ready
- When the lentils have reached the desired level of softness, add the vinegar to stop the cooking and season with salt, pepper, and sugar
- With each serving, add a Frankfurter on top, or cut the sausages up and add them directly into the soup