Chaource Cheese Mushroom Tart (Tarte-Champignons-Chaource)Course: SidesCuisine: France – ChampagneDifficulty: Easy
This is a traditional recipe from the Champagne region of France, where the local soft cheese is used as the base for a pizza-like tart of mushrooms and cream.
1 Pastry dough roll
1 Chaource (c. 500g of soft cheese similar to Camembert)
4 Tablespoons cream
2 Cloves Garlic
Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Line the bottom of the pan with the pastry roll. Prick the bottom with a fork to keep the filling from spilling out as the pastry puffs up.
- Clean the mushrooms and chop them into small pieces
- Sautee the mushrooms in a generous amount of butter with parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook until the liquid has mostly evaporated. The less liquid present means a more solid tart. This can take up to 30 minutes.
- Cut the Chaource or soft cheese into chunks and melt it into the mushroom mixture. Remove from the heat and keep stirring until the cheese has melted. Set aside until cool.
- Beat the eggs with the fresh cream and some more salt and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms to the cream and mix everything.
- Place the mixture into the pie pan on top of the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.