Baked eggs are a traditional staple of European cuisine. This is an Alsatian variant with various herbs popular in the region. This is a simple dish where the eggs are baked with cream and herbs in a small flat-bottomed dish.
Alsatian Shirred Eggs (œufs en cocotte)
- 4 Small Baking Dishes Or Large Cupcake Tins
- 1 Bunch of Wild Herbs e.g. Estragon, Chives, Wild Garlic, Pimpinelle, Majoram or Parsley
- 10 g Butter
- 200 ml Heavy Cream
- 4 Eggs
- Salt to taste
- 4 Pieces of Rye Bready Optionally Toasted
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- Wash and finely chop the herbs and mix together.
- Line each small baking dish with butter or fat, and pour 50ml of cream into each one.
- Add one quarter of the herb mixture to each dish.
- Add one egg to each dish and then scramble the contents of each one until mixed well.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, to the desired level of thickness, then season with salt.
- Serve with the (toasted) bread.